Open Lab Games and Demigiant
Based in Florence, Italy
Press / Business contact:
Open Lab - Games
Via Venezia 18b
Football Drama - "A football game about poets & crooks."In Football Drama, you're Rocco Galliano, the existentially troubled manager of a struggling football team. Train players, survive the drama, choose your own narrative, and play turn-based football matches via tactical cards and hard choices. If you avoid the axe you could win the championship, understand what is football, retire at the French Riviera, end up in jail, or who knows what else!
First release platforms: Steam, Itch.io, IOS, Android. In English, Italian and French.
Genres: management, story-rich, turn-based, choices-matter, soccer, sports, card-game, existentialist.
You are Rocco Galliano, the Marseillaise new manager of Calchester Assembled Football Club.
A foggy evening in Manchester Joy City, chatting with your cat about your dramatic comeback as a football manager.
After the abrupt ending of your coaching career seven years ago, the hysterical attention of the press quickly faded. But struggling results by Calchester FC convinced Boris Aluminovitch, its billionaire president, to axe the previous beleaguered manager and give you a new chance.
Will your raucous shouts from the bench change the fate of the matches? Will you find wiseness and karma leadership by consulting with the Book of Changes? Will your shady past reach back to you and make you crumble?
There is a slim chance that you can make it through a full season. Corruption, crime, drugs and romance are all paths that you may take - for the better or worse.
This is the only football game where you may lose the championship and win the game!
- Interactive narrative with meaningful and game-changing choices
- Karma or chaos: life choices, managing choices
- Turn-based match play with live-action animations
- 18 dramatic weeks of generated championship where you can be fired at any time
- Deck-building mechanics determined by life choices and game results
- Ridiculous cards about the craziest aspects of today's football
- Complete illustrated log of each of your matches
- Silly main commentator with his obligatory colourful sidekick
- Replayable - every championship is unique, several different endings
- Nicely designed user interface by Pino Panzarella
- Stunning illustrated cards and characters by Daniele Giardini "Demigiant"
- Share your wins with friends and enemies
Why another game on football?
Football Drama was started after discovering and exploring the richness and quality of the literature about football. Novelists and poets like Pasolini, Galeano, Soriano, Hornby, Saba, Handke, Wenders have written about football and its evocative and poetic power. Same in movies, with fringe and beautiful works like The Lost World Cup or Wender's The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick.
This naturally leads to the question: why people love football so much?
So we started designing a new, unique game around football, as we believe games can be a wonderful media for storytelling.
In this video Football Drama's game designer Pietro Polsinelli and Konstantinos Dimopoulos (@gnomeslair)talk about the extensive background research for Football Drama:
Teaser "Choices" YouTube
There are many more images available for Football Drama, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
- "Football Drama: Dentro del deporte rey (Spanish)"
- Javier Alemán, niveloculto.com
- "Football Drama: l’epica calcistica e la cultura popolare (Italian)"
- Davide Mancini, IVIPRO
Open Lab Games
Open Lab Games is the main producer of Football Drama, check its applied games here open-lab.com.
Demigiant develops games and technologies for developers, check it here demigiant.com.
Pietro Polsinelli (Open Lab Games)
Concept, game design, overall coding, narrative (plot and writing).
Pino Panzarella (Open Lab Games)
UI design, overall graphic design, animations, audio, video.
Matteo Bicocchi (Open Lab Games)
Pair coding, match emulator, design, web dev.
Daniele Giardini (Demigiant)
Illustration, universal guru consulting, narrative tools.
Thanks: Mark Boas
English text revision.
Thanks: Caterina Feroci (Open Lab Games)